Preparing for the broken soul ministry
Healing a broken soul is about restoring your identity in Christ more than anything else. While the process involves finding and healing broken parts, the purpose is to restore your heart to your original God-given design so that you can live in your true identity in Christ. In other words, this is a loving process between you and God that is about you and the deepest needs of your heart.
The main difference between ministry and counseling is that in ministry, Jesus, rather than the counselor, is the source of the solution. The minister is a facilitator who helps you find and surface the right parts of your heart that carry wounds and troublesome behavior. They then help bring those things to the Lord in a way that allows them to be healed.
The ministry process is actually much more natural than you might think. Your broken parts have been active most of your life. They have already been expressing themselves in your day to day conversations and relationships. Parts have been active in your life through:
- Influencing your emotions
- Affecting your behavior
- Temporarily taking control in certain types of situations
You have experienced the sensation of, “Part of me thinks, or feels …” or “There is a side to me …“ at different times in your life. This process is simply getting in touch with the part (or side) of you that thinks or feels those things and healing the wounds that are carried in those places. As previously mentioned, those parts work like hidden personalities. They are present for a reason and can communicate what they are carrying and how they affect your life.
Getting in touch with a broken part can be as simple as asking the Lord to cause them to surface. (See below.) However, if that is difficult for someone, we can reach them by exploring the emotions they are responsible for in your life. There is nothing scary or spooky about this.
In daily life, parts become active by getting triggered. In the ministry process, they express themselves in a controlled (un-triggered) manner. Even very angry parts can express themselves with calmness and self-control. This allows us to learn about their true needs and then use that information to help them receive healing. There are two basic methods that we use to get in touch with broken parts:
Parts can surface by asking the Lord to bring up each part that needs ministry.
This is the most basic and common method. If a person is able to engage with this method, it is our first choice. We ask Jesus, who knows you better than anyone, to find and reveal each broken part of your heart to you. We coach you through the process of recognizing how a part surfaces and expresses itself so that you can easily engage in the process.
With this method, when a part is ready to communicate, you will sense that another part of you is present. They can communicate any of three basic ways:
- Through your emotions. You will sense that a part is present and communicating. You will not hear words. You will simply get an emotional impression of how they feel, and that impression can be amazingly communicative. For example, you may sense an emotion such as fear or anxiety, etc. In that emotion, you will be able to sense what the part is afraid of or what is making that part of you anxious, etc. For example, you may sense fear of a relative or of a situation when you were young. You will be able to sense why the fear is there, etc. It happens just as naturally as it does in your day-to-day life when you feel the same emotions. However, in this case, you sense that the emotions are coming from a part of yourself rather than your core personality. You also will often recognize more detail than normal about why those emotions are there because of the Holy Spirit’s help with the ministry.
- By hearing what the part says and reporting it to the minister. A more distinct manifestation of a broken part is to both feel their emotions and hear what they are saying. Your core personality will remain in control. You are simply reporting what the part is saying to the minister. This is very similar to what is described above except that you hear the part speaking with greater clarity.
- By the part speaking for themselves. In this case, your core personality is comfortably set aside while the part fully manifests and talks directly to the minister. You will be fully present (except in extreme and rare cases). Some people feel as if they are watching this happen from the side or back of their head. This is not a form of hypnosis or spiritual manipulation of any kind. This kind of experience has been reasonably common with many people (in moments of extreme anger) at least once or twice in their lives prior to coming for ministry. In other words, this kind of “setting aside” of our core personality can happen in day-to-day life as well. (See Mark’s Story.) Your core personality will still be able to speak at any point in the process. In this case, the part can easily articulate its full story and participate with great ease in the healing process.
Parts can surface through examining your emotions.
In this approach, we follow a method that is very similar to ministries such as the Immanuel Approach or Transformation Prayer. We ask you to concentrate on an emotional burden or painful memory. Since every emotion we have is actually a “container” of a memory, or another emotion, we ask you to tell us what you feel inside of that emotion. For example, inside of an emotion of anger, you might feel anxiety or fear, or you might be taken to a memory. Then inside of the fear, you might be taken to a belief such as, “I’m all alone in life with no one to protect me.”
When this process surfaces something that feels and sounds like a conversation rather than the string of emotions and memories described above, we have gotten in touch with a broken part. At that point, we work with the part just like we would any other.
Over time we have learned to spot subtleties that indicate when a part is expressing itself such as changes in the pattern of your speech and changes in the way you express emotions. This is somewhat subtle, but an experienced minister is able to spot these things and to help you determine whether it is the expression of your core personality or a broken part. Confirmation is found in the benefits you experience from the healing process.
Healing the part
They primary principle of the healing process is, “You will know the truth, and the truth (not spiritual authority nor spiritual battles) will set you free” (John 8:31-32). Freedom is found through the presence and truth of Christ, not in spiritual warfare. We heal parts by finding lies and helping them receive truth. When handled properly, that process will overcome or completely shut down the most serious spiritual battle.
The healing process for a broken part is focused on six basic steps:
- Let the part express itself. Each broken part is governed by one major lie they are believing. It may be something like, “I have to depend on myself to solve this because neither God nor anyone else is helping me here.” That lie will govern almost every emotion or behavior the part influences in your life. Once the lie is found, God’s truth about the matter can be presented to the part. All it usually takes is for someone to help them see the truth, and they are ready to be healed. You will feel the part both express their beliefs and feel the relief as they find and accept the truth.
- Helping this part of you connect to Christ. Your whole person is saved when you come to Christ. But you will find that some of your broken parts are not in touch with Christ and don’t feel (or understand) that they are part of your salvation. This is what causes many people to feel double-minded regarding their relationship with Christ. They feel connected to God and disconnected from him at the same time. This problem is rooted in broken parts. We help each part get in touch with your salvation and know that salvation is theirs too. The easiest way to do this is to lead them through a salvation prayer. This allows them to clearly know they are in the same salvation as your core personality.
- Confession and renunciation. When parts are responsible for sinful behaviors, we allow them to confess the sins (1 John 1:9) and renounce lies. You will be amazed at how effective this process is when the part of you that is actually holding sinful behavior and the beliefs does this process.
- Hearing from the Lord. Our emotions are based in beliefs (lies) that are often hidden from our conscious view. An emotion of sadness may be based in a lie such as, “I’m not good enough.” Only the voice of Jesus completely removes that kind of lie, and when he does, the lie and the emotions attached to it are removed. This is the basis of emotional healing. We guide parts through the process of presenting emotions/lies to Jesus and listening to what he has to say about them.
- Merging secondary parts. In the same way that parts break from you in response to unmet emotional needs, stress, or trauma, a broken part can also break (or dissociate). It can happen to a broken part of you the same way it can happen to your core. In fact, since parts are usually younger than 20, they often break again as they try to respond to the stress of adult problems. Secondary breaks can be found and merged with the original part they broke from. Jesus will both find and merge them for you. This is often critical to helping the original part mature and be ready for merging/blending.
- Identity Restoration. Almost every broken part believes something that creates a self-perception that is directly opposite of their true identity in Christ. In a process very similar to step four, we help the part listen to Jesus telling them who they really are according to God’s design, or to hear how Jesus feels about them being his child, etc. In hearing these things, they find their true identity so that this part of your heart is secure in who you are in Christ before merging back with your core personality. This process completes the restoration of this part of the heart to health.
Our broken parts are literally our inner children. If you are able to perceive their age, it will be younger than your age. This is an emotional, not a chronological age. Parts are frozen at these ages due to lies believed and emotional wounds that they carry. As the above steps are completed, you feel the parts grow up. You may feel the part is 6 years old when they first present themselves. After a healing step, they may then feel they are 15. This is because the wounds suffered at 6 are healed, but they were wounded again at age 15. We find the 15-year-old wound through the same ministry process and repeat until the part feels the same age as your biological age. Often the minister will hear the expressions of your voice change until the voice of the part sounds exactly like your normal voice at full adult age.
Once a part is full adult age, they easily blend back into your adult self, returning to the place from which they separated (or dissociated) at a younger age. This is accomplished by the Lord in response to prayer. The part simply returns to same unbroken association with your core self that they had at birth. When a part is merged/blended, you no longer sense their presence, and they no longer respond to the minister’s voice. This is because they are now fully a part of your core personality. We can typically heal three to six parts per day-long appointment. However, this may very from person to person.
Knowing when you are finished
In the healing process, we conduct the most thorough prayer-based search we can to find and heal all parts. In some cases, all signs indicate that the ministry found and healed all broken parts. In others, as genuine as our efforts are, issues we carry can prevent some parts from being healed in the first round of ministry. Sometimes this is because parts are hesitant to communicate, or it can be due to insecurities the core carries, etc. Sometimes the impact of severe trauma is so deeply buried that we have to wait for it to surface after the first round of healing is done.
In the end, the best method for knowing all parts are healed is the lack of symptoms in your day-to-day life. People who have been through appointments with us are always free to come back, even years after their first appointment, to deal with anything that surfaces down the road.